Thursday, September 30, 2010

A very intense first post...

Ok, instead of going off on how amazing blogging is going to be, like I was planning, I have been anxious to tell my fellow bloggers about what happened to Brandon and I this morning! So here we go...

Brandon has class at 8:30 and I usually don't pick him up until 11:30. However this morning he wanted to come home for the day after his first class, normally I would try to get him to go to all his classes, but this morning, for some reason, I decided it didn't really matter and I would go pick him up at 9:15.  Once I picked him up and we pulled up to the apartment, we were about to walk inside when we heard someone shouting. It sounded like someone was yelling "help". We both thought it was some kids being stupid and were walking in the door when we realized it was a man screaming "Help me! Somebody help me!". We started walking toward the voice, and it was about a block behind us when I finally shouted "Where are you?" and he answered that he was stuck under the truck and to call 911. I grabbed Brandon's phone and called 911 and when we rounded the corner to find him, I got tears in my eyes to think what would have happened if we ignored his yells. He was a 70 yr old man who was working on a highsomethingoranother truck (Brandon would tell me what it is called, but he's at football...) anyway, it was one of those trucks that have a really big bed that is tall and made out of wood. Well, he had lifted the bed up to work on a loose bolt when the bed fell on him, smashing him between the bed and the bottom of the truck. 1,000 lbs was weighing on him and he had been yelling for someone to help him.  The police, fire department and ambulance were all there within five minutes, and when they finally got him out, I was in tears. The police kept telling Brandon and me that if we didn't find him, ten more minutes and he wouldn't have survived. 

The reason I was in tears, is thus...it always amazes me how God works in mysterious ways. Brandon and I would normally not have been outside our apartment for another 2 hours, and that man wouldn't have lived. We also almost ignored it, not thinking it was serious, and if it weren't for the spirit prompting us to follow the voice...I shudder to think what would have happened. We live a good block behind him, and his next door neighbors didn't hear a thing, and yet we did. 

On the positive - Brandon and I each learned something good today. 
Me - I always wanted to call 911, and now that I have...I never want to do it again.
Brandon - I quote "It's a sign. I need to skip class more often."

We love you all! And follow the promptings, you could save someone's life!

2 comments:

Abbie said...

Why didn't you tell me that when you called last night?!?! Dang, that's intense. Go sister! :)

Ben and Brie Smith said...

wow!! that's amazing!! I can't believe that! and of course brandon would say that. hahaha That's truly an amazing story though to tell your kids one day! =)